Tuesday, September 4, 2012

To my dearest friend...

Dear "little" brother,

I want you to know that the world will never be good enough for you.  This world we live in doesn't deserve a genuine human being like you.  That being said, I know you will change the lives of the people you meet, and I know you will do things in life to better this place. 

You're one of those people who blesses others just by interacting with them. Your genuine honesty is something that people love about you, but remember to be careful who you are completely honest with. Some of them will trick you, play you, use you.  You can't let everyone take, take, and take without them giving. With a kind soul like yours, you will struggle to tell the difference, and that skill will come with time, and unfortunately many heartbreaking situations. 

Have I ever told you how smart you are?  I mean, who cracks the answers code on the OGT test?  Who does that?! You have a genius brain, but don't forget to work hard in class. I know you know how to do the assignments, and that you don't see the point in practicing what you already know you can do. That is quite a problem to have, I'd say. Just push yourself to your limits, and you'll find that your limits don't exist. You can do anything if you set your mind to it. As cliche as that is, it's true. That statement isn't true for most people, but you could honestly be anything you want to be, and you would succeed.

Remember when you used to not smile...ever? Well, let's just say you need to make up for those times by smiling as much as you can. I always am so encouraged when you smile. It lets me know that you are happy, and that I don't need to worry so much about how you're handling things.

Speaking of handling things... I am so sorry you have to go through all of these hardships. Life right now is getting really tough for you, and as much as it hurts me to see you going through all of this, I know you'll learn so much from it! It's so hard to see it that way now, but I promise that later in life you will look back and know why you went through all of this. Not only has your family been torn apart, you have to figure out what you want to do with your life, where you're going to college, what your major will be, how to survive the rest of high school. You don't need this extra stress. But I know you'll pull through. You've always been a tough one, a survivor. I know you can do this.

I need you to know that I am always a text, e-mail, facebook chat, or call away. Please don't ever feel alone, because I will always be available. To be honest, at night I leave my phone on with the ringer turned up in case you ever need me. I've done that every night since I left for college my freshman year. I know you understand that I had to leave, especially since now you're deciding where to go. I've never been so thankful for anything like I have been for your understanding. I'm so relieved you didn't think I was abandoning you, because I would never do that.

"Little" brother, I love you a lot. I wish I could protect you from all of the bad things this world will throw at you, all the people who will hurt you, the trials you will suffer. But that would only hurt you. You have to grow up, just like I had to, and part of growing up is learning from the hard times, from the tough stuff. Life has it's good times too, don't get me wrong. But it's much easier to enjoy those times than the bad times. You are so loved and supported, I wish I could put it all into words. You're such a great person, and I just hope you don't become a part of this world, because it will never deserve you.

I have been so blessed (and will continue to be) to have you as a brother. You have my 100% love and support, you always will. I'll always be your #1 fan, head of your cheering section, and fan club! I wish you could see how great you are, and the difference you've made in peoples' lives already, especially mine. I wish you knew just how amazing you are.

Your unbelievably proud sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment