Saturday, March 17, 2012

You Have Friends for A Reason

So, today me and a bunch of my friends went to brunch in our dining hall at noon. We came in different groups so we got there a few minutes apart and I was talking with my friend Austin when I saw my roommate and another friend walk in.  I started quickly walking towards them to tell them where we were sitting and I hear Austin behind me yelling, "Sadie! SADie! SADIE! WATCH OU--" and then I realized why he was yelling just about the same time my right foot slid and flew in the air and all my weight landed on my left hip.
I immediately started laughing so they would know that a.) I was okay and b.) it was okay to laugh too. I'll admit though, I was totally embarassed. My boyfriend, roommate and a few other friends rushed over to help me up and make sure I was okay. Honestly though, I was laughing so I wouldn't cry. It hurt so badly, and I was completely embarassed. My friends were laughing, and my pride, and hip were in pain.
Once I got up, I grabbed onto and hugged my roommate for probably a good, full minute and she kept reassuring me that everything was fine and it didn't matter that everyone saw it or if they were laughing or not; all that mattered was that I was okay. Well, I thought I was okay. I tried to walk a few steps to my boyfriend and it brought tears to my eyes because it hurt so much. I hugged him then decided I needed to go sit down, that was a bad idea. Sitting in a chair hurt worse than walking. He told me to stay put and he'd bring me my food. (He's an incredibly sweet guy!) He got me all of my favorite things and we sat and ate for about a half hour while some of my not-so-close friends told me how graceful of a faller I was, and how they'd never seen someone fall so neatly and ladylike. That made me feel a little bit better.
I told my boyfriend I needed to go back to the dorms because I needed to lie down and take some medicine and he offered to walk back with me before his fraternity's kick ball game. I got up to leave and the pain was only getting worse. All the way back to the dorms he offered to carry me but I kept refusing (I'm just a little bit stubborn), but deep inside I wanted to say yes.
All afternoon my hip has just gotten stiffer and more painful and people kept offering to do things for me or go get me whatever I needed, but I politely declined.

People. We have friends for a reason: to be there for us and help us when we're down. I need to get over my pride and stop being stubborn. I really need help right now; I can't walk hardly at all. People, my friends, have been trying to do their job all day, and I haven't been letting them because I am stubborn and prideful. So, I think tomorrow (which I predict will be much more painful than today...) I will let them help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment