Thursday, April 19, 2012

27 Dresses

Instead of finishing my paper, I've decided to blog something real quick!

So, while working on school work my roommate and I have become accustom to having background noise which is usually a movie.  Tonight I picked 27 Dresses as my background noise while finishing my final paper for my IDC course I'm taking.

The thing is that it became more than just background noise, which is totally fine! I love the story in this movie and it's always been easy to identify with and I never understood why until now.

Jane, the main character is the oldest of two girls who had to be the woman in the house after her mom died when she was very young.  Their whole lives, Jane has taken care of and done for her sister, Tess. She's made Tess's life as easy as she possibly could and because of that Tess became an irresponsible, selfish person.
It surfaces later in the movie that Jane is somewhat bitter about having had to always look after Tess, and Tess confesses that she just wants to be like Jane.

Jane and Tess are a lot like my twin sister and I. I've always covered for my sister, in almost every situation. I did some of her chores when she didn't so she wouldn't get in trouble. I reminded her of (and sometimes let her copy) homework that we had, did her laundry, cleaned the bathroom we shared, woke her up for school so she wouldn't be late even though she was completely mean to me when I did. We haven't always gotten along so well, and it's definitely better than what it was! But, maybe I was resentful towards her because of what I chose to do. I chose to do those things, she didn't make me. I made my sister's life easy. Honestly, I did worry that she wouldn't succeed in college because she wouldn't hear her alarm to wake up for class, would forget about homework, not do her laundry (and she wears so many different articles of clothing in ONE DAY that it would blow your mind...), and not keep her areas of her dorm room clean.

The truth is: she's doing just fine without me. It was so selfish of me to think that I played such a big role in her life, in raising her. I did do a lot for her, and maybe I did have an impact, but maybe I didn't. What does it matter? What matters is that I love her, and she will always be my sister. No matter how crazy she makes me. No matter how many arguments we get in. No matter how different we are, I will always love her. I miss her, but she's doing just fine on her own. I never should have doubted her!

No comments:

Post a Comment